Sunday, September 30, 2007

Faith

Do you believe in God? The First question and possibly the last. The source of debate and confusion.

But isn't the real question, does God believe in you? And replace the value-laden term with whatever you like - spirituality, meaning, etc. as I do not want to assume divine existence.

I ask it this way because if you feel that "something" believes in you, then the strong interpretation is that existence is imbued with a purpose, a meaning. That every action is not random or accidental but intentional.

I'd like to think I create my own meaning or purpose, that self-determination is the ultimate goal. We choose our own paths. Like entrepreneurs. Or Barack. Or Neo. Or perhaps it is a mixture of interaction with our environment by which reveals our destiny and potential paths.

But maybe sometimes we need something "more" to point us in the right direction. Perhaps these signs are not so much divine but parts of a grand puzzle by which we must collect and then see put together to understand the entire message. And perhaps this message is not a new one, but one stored in old scrolls, memorized as poems, and argued furiously today as it was centuries ago. Because the basic human need for answers remains unquenched.

I wonder, but not too long. Our lives are finite, that much is certain.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Jenny, I don't know if Momma was right or if, if it's Lieutenant Dan. I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time.

I miss you, Jenny. If there's anything you need, I won't be far away.